Frequent home repairs may need to be done at any time. The frequent use of the different elements, together with the passage of time, causes deterioration that should be addressed as soon as possible.
When should home maintenance be done?
In a new house or apartment, it is likely that it will take a while before doing the first maintenance and repairs. These are unavoidable since they allow the home to be kept in good condition and reduce problems that may appear in the future.
Maintenance activities include cleaning each of the elements of our home, both inside and outside. Floors, walls, roofs, gutters, heating, etc. In addition to cleaning, you have to make sure that they are working well, for example that the shower water runs without stagnation.
These activities must be done as many times as necessary and as soon as possible. Otherwise, we can regret the consequences. If you allow gutters to fill with debris, the water will not circulate easily, causing leaks and even the detachment of the drains.
Timely maintenance delays home repairs and reduces the cost of home repairs. You won’t avoid them entirely because at some point you’ll have to change a light bulb, repaint the walls, or repair appliances.
It’s a good idea to have a budget for home maintenance and repairs. That way, when the time comes to run them, you’ll have enough funds to do them. Not all of these tasks are expensive, but there are cases that require a significant investment.
What are the most frequent home repairs?
There are breakdowns that are very common in homes and by solving them in time you will avoid major expenses over time. Taking care of your home is essential because this is your refuge and where you spend most of your time.
In addition, by making the repairs that arise, you will ensure that the value of the property is maintained. Below, we describe what may be the most frequently done home repairs .
Masonry and painting
While there are some DIY jobs you can do on your own, most of these repairs require you to hire a professional.
- Leaks and humidity . The chances of their occurrence are higher in regions with frequent or intense rains. It is important to waterproof the roofs and maintain them to prevent them from happening. There is also humidity that appears due to broken pipes.
- Replace parquet . If this type of floor is not well cared for, it ends up being scratched, with loose or broken pieces. Replacing the damaged segments is enough, but we recommend that you hire a professional so that you don’t damage the rest.
- Cracks in the ceramic floor . They may not happen as often, but a falling heavy object can break the pieces. Replacing the pieces is a delicate job so you should hire a mason in Madrid who knows how to do it.
- Holes in the walls . When they are small holes, such as those left by nails, you can repair them yourself. But if they are cracks, it is better not to risk them because they can hide a bigger problem.
- Stained or discolored walls . The passage of time can be implacable with the walls. These lose their color or get stained by hands, furniture, dirt, etc. That is why you have to renew the paint every so often.
These are also part of the most common home repairs. Some of these faults are the following:
- Blockages in the toilet . It can happen because the pipes are very narrow, when objects fall inside, among others. If not corrected, the water can overflow, the amount of debris that blocks the pipe increases and it can break.
- Damaged tank . The cistern is responsible for carrying the water to the toilet, if the system is damaged it is capable of rendering the toilet useless. One of the common failures is water leaks.
- Broken pipes . When this happens, it is capable of generating big problems; For example, if the leak is inside a wall, it will have to be broken to seal it before it damages the wall. Very cold winters can cause pipes to burst as the water inside them freezes. However, the situation is not always serious, sometimes it is about joints that are loose and just require adjustment.
- Dripping faucets . These facilities tend to deteriorate over time and there comes a time when they constantly lose water. In general, the solution is simple and it is not necessary to change everything, but only the closing gasket. However, it is a task for which you should hire a plumber.
- Blockages in showers and sinks . As with the toilet, these pipes also get clogged. It is necessary to keep the entrances of the drains clean and avoid throwing large objects through them.
Here are some of the more delicate home repairs.
- Burnt out bulbs . It is quite common since it has a limited time, although if you use LED lights they will last longer than conventional ones. You don’t need to call an expert to change them, but you do need to be careful when doing so.
- Damaged appliances . The washer, dryer, air conditioner, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc. All these devices have failures at some point and must be addressed before they get worse. An appliance in poor condition increases energy consumption.
- Faulty plugs . Although it is not one of the most common electrical faults, it can occur and it is necessary to change them. The work is delicate and should be done by a professional electrician.
- Lamp changes . Whether it’s because they’re damaged or you want to freshen up the look of a room, you’ll probably need to replace them at some point. Being an electrical job it is risky to do it on your own.
- Electrical overload . If the power of the electrical devices connected to it is greater than that of the circuit, an overload will occur. To prevent this from happening, do not turn on many appliances at the same time.
These are 15 of the most frequent repairs in the home. As you will see, although you can solve some of them on your own, the most appropriate thing is to call an expert to take care of them.