A very frequent question regarding home maintenance is how to clean natural stone floors and walls .
Advantages and disadvantages of natural stone cladding
The use of natural stone to improve the aesthetics of homes and offices is very popular. This material has multiple benefits, but also some negative points that you should be aware of. Get to know them before asking your mason to install them.
- Hardness and resistance: Unlike other materials, natural stone is very resistant to sudden changes in temperature and precipitation. It does not deteriorate easily over time.
- It is a sustainable material: Since it is highly durable, it can be reused in case the structure needs to be demolished or you want to replace the stone with another material.
- Natural insulation: Natural stone has excellent insulating properties. In cold seasons they help keep the heat inside the house, while in summer and spring they keep the interior cool. They are also excellent sound insulators.
- Multiple uses: They can not only be used as wall and floor coverings outdoors. But also for columns, ceilings and other places and elements that you want to embellish. It is a great ideal to place on the walls or the floor if you are doing a bathroom renovation .
One of its few negative aspects or that is considered a disadvantage compared to other materials is that natural stone is quite expensive . For this reason it is more used in luxurious constructions.
Despite this, the cost/benefit ratio is excellent. Since despite having a considerable investment to obtain and place the material, it does not require much maintenance and has great durability, which makes it totally worth it.
Another factor to take into account is that if the stone is outdoors, it is common for it to develop mold, moss or algae due to humidity. It is also possible that some of its metal components start to rust.
But both situations are solved with proper cleaning and maintenance.
How to clean natural stone floors and walls?
Natural stone is a material that can be used as cladding on walls and floors, both indoors and outdoors. And unlike what many think, it is quite easy to clean them.
It is important that before starting to clean, be it the floor or walls, you must know the type of stone that covers it. Although many procedures are valid for most, there are others that require a special cleaning method due to their characteristics.
Clean natural stone facades
One of the basic ways to clean natural stone facades is using water with moderate pressure. This is very effective at removing stains and dirt that are not attached to the material.
We do not recommend using a jet with a very strong pressure, as it could dislodge or loosen some small stones from the wall.
In case the dirt is adhered to the surface of the stone, you should resort to washing with sand . This procedure consists of using a device that expels the sand directly to the wall by means of an air jet.
The friction of the sand grains removes or loosens the dirt from the surface without damaging it. It is a very effective technique, but it must be performed by a professional. This will determine the proper pressure and grit size for the type of stone to be cleaned.
Clean natural stone floors
Whether indoors or outdoors, natural stone floors are very easy to clean. You only need water and a little soap with a neutral pH. You should apply the mixture with a soft bristle brush or sponge so as not to damage the surface of the stone.
It is important that you then remove all the soap from the floor and dry it with a cloth. If you let it dry naturally, the stone may stain.
How to clean marble walls or floors?
You can clean marble with soap and water. It is important that the soap you use is of neutral pH and that you remove it very well with water. Then you need to dry the surface so that it is not damaged. It will always lose its natural shine progressively. This trick also works for the maintenance of your granite countertops .
If the marble has some dirt stains that are difficult to remove, you can use vinegar diluted in water. To apply it, the ideal is that it is only on the stain using a spray bottle and then spread it with a sponge or soft mop.
Do not use elements such as lemon or ammonia to remove stains, as these can damage the marble. If you use them, it is important that you remove them completely using water.
How to clean slate floor?
A good trick to clean slate is to mix linseed oil and white spirit or mild solvents. You should apply them all over the surface using a soft sponge. This will help you remove any kind of stain.
In case the stains are not completely removed, you can use alcohol based cleaners. This type of stone resists them very well, but do not abuse them.
An even easier way to clean slate stone floors is by using hot water with hydrogen peroxide. Pour the mixture over the surface carefully and let it act for a few minutes. Then rinse with warm water.
Other tips for cleaning natural stone from walls and floors
- If you notice that your floor or stone wall has moss, you can remove it using alkaline cleaning products or those with a pH greater than 7. They also serve to remove stains. But in some cases these can dull the surface.
- To remove rust from natural stone, you should ideally use acid cleaners. Vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice are also quite effective at removing it, but must be used with great care.
- The stones gradually lose their original shine, especially if they are outdoors and if they are not properly maintained. But you can use polishing treatments and color-enhancing products to make them look like new.
You already know different ways of how to clean natural stone floors and walls so that they always look amazing.