If you don’t know how to maintain roofs , in this post we will teach you. Whatever the material of the roof of your house, wood, tiles, asphalt, slate… there is a solution to improve the conditions of your home. Don’t let a leak damage your property, or let the deterioration of materials put your family at risk.
Why is it important to do roof and deck maintenance?
Roofs, as well as any element of a house or building, need maintenance. Most people don’t have their roofs inspected annually, but this is key to protecting your property and your investment.
Roof maintenance is the periodic inspection of vulnerable areas of the roof that may be susceptible to a problem. Depending on the type of roof, whether commercial or residential, you may need this work to be done annually, bi-annually, or quarterly.
In the maintenance of the roof works are carried out such as:
- Check pipes for cracks or wear: Leaking chimney seals are very common.
- Remove roof debris and gutters: Tree branches and leaves often fall on roofs, these can clog drains and cause leaks.
- Inspected for Animals: Early detection of roof pests is very important to prevent severe damage.
- Ventilation inspection: on the roofs there may be fans and turbines, in roof maintenance these are also checked.
- Check for loose or missing sealants and flashing – These are essential to keeping roofs airtight.
- If you have a chimney, you should do a separate review of it.
Investing in roof maintenance is necessary because it ensures that the roof will function well for longer. The recommendation is to do an annual inspection.
Home roof maintenance prevents future problems. Detecting a problem in time will mean less expense than realizing it when it is too late.
In addition, by doing roof maintenance you maximize the life of the roof.
How to maintain roofs?
As a homeowner, knowing that you need to take care of your roof can be intimidating. No matter what type of roof you have, you want to make sure it lasts its expected lifetime. This is achieved with good care and maintenance.
The basic steps for roof maintenance are:
Inspect shingles every season
In each season there are unique situations according to the weather. For example, in summer the heat, humidity and sun can damage the tiles. In winter, there may be leaks from melting ice and snow.
Therefore, inspecting the roof at each season is important. Look at shingles for signs of excessive wear or damage, see if shingles are missing or broken. Check the integrity of the caulk around the flashing.
Look to see if moss is forming, this may indicate something is rotting under the shingles. Address any issues immediately to prevent them from escalating.
Give it an annual treatment for moss, lichen and algae
If algae, mold or lichen grows on your roof it can do a lot of damage and it looks bad as well. This occurs in the warmer months, in dark areas of the roof.
You can remove them with the help of professional roof cleaners. Once the roof is clean and dry you can apply products to prevent reappearance, these must contain zinc and copper.
Clean and maintain gutters
Being in good condition, the gutters protect the roof. Since these direct water and debris from the roof to the drain pipes.
To ensure that gutters work properly, they should be cleaned at least twice a year to maintain the flow of water. If you have a lot of trees nearby you may need to do this quarterly.
Remove leaves and debris from the roof regularly
Removing any debris or trash from the roof will protect your property, prevent mold and algae from growing. Keep in mind that not all leaves go down the gutters, so it’s important to check the roof from time to time.
Cut branches near the roof
If you have large trees near your home, especially if they have branches that hang toward the ceiling, it’s a good idea to prune them every so often. This avoids any impact of these with the roof or accumulation of debris.
This must be done annually.
Replace caulking around flashings if necessary
If you have a chimney, your roof has flashing around the chimney and vent pipes to prevent water from seeping into your home. You should inspect and replace, if necessary, the sealant every year.
When inspecting see if it is missing caulking or if it is lifting. If so, scrape off the old putty and apply a new one.
When to inspect roofs?
Both cold and heat, humidity and strong winds can deteriorate the roof of your house. For this reason, the most sensible thing is that at the end of each season you thoroughly review the state of the roof of your home. Above all, before and after the beginning of summer and winter, since they are the most intense seasons
Temperature changes within a day also affect the appearance and functionality of roofs. If it is very hot during the day and the temperature drops at night, this could accelerate the damage.
Types of roofs for houses
If you are thinking of building from scratch or remodeling your house, here we will tell you what the options are to change the roof . In Spain the following types of roofs are very common.
Asphalt shingles, easy installation
For the reform of houses in Madrid , asphalt tiles are recommended for the roofs. Its substance contains granules and asphalt laminate together with other resistant materials. And, it is an inexpensive and easy-to-install type of roof.
There are fiberglass and organic asphalt shingles.
Metal tile, for larger budgets
Metal tile is one of the most expensive building materials. But it is worth choosing them for their benefits:
- Easy installation.
- It is ultra light (between about 25 to 75 kgs per square meter).
- Very resistant and long useful life.
- Its maintenance is cheap.
- It gives the house a modern look.
Country Style Wood Shingles
Even if you’re in the city, you can have a country-style home just by putting up your wood-shingle roof. It is rare to see homes with this aspect, but in interior design it is a trend to decorate with a country air.
The wood must resist a special treatment so that it lasts longer and can resist the effects of the sun and rain.
All-weather slate roof tiles
For countries with four climatic seasons, the most recommended for their homes is that they have slate tile roofs . This type of tile is conducive to resisting all climatic aggressions, they do not need maintenance and are very durable.
Roof maintenance depending on the material
When choosing the best roofing material for your home, you need to know how to maintain it. Since for each type there are different methods.
Care for metal tile roofs
The maintenance of the metal tile roof will guarantee the correct functioning of these. We leave you a small list of recommendations to prolong its useful life:
- Every four months, or after a storm, inspect the condition of the roof. See if a shingle is missing and replace it. If there is a breakdown in the corners, flashings or attics, call a professional immediately to avoid leaks.
- Keep the roof free of leaves and standing water. You can do this more often in the rainy season or if you live in a wooded area.
- Clean the gutters, because if they are covered the water will not be able to circulate. This could cause it to freeze between the tiles.
It is important to note that if you live near the coast, you may notice black spots on your metal tile roof. These are algae that are growing on it. To avoid this inconvenience, it makes sense to buy algae-resistant shingles or apply a coating like the one mentioned above.
Wood roof maintenance
Wood is the most delicate building material . It is susceptible to the intensity of the sun, humidity and insects. To prevent these factors from deteriorating your wood shingles, it will be necessary to cure each shingle before installation. Periodically maintain your roof.
It is recommended that after each season you do maintenance on wood ceilings . But, if the climate in your area is very changeable, it is best to carry out an inspection of the state of the tiles whenever you consider it necessary. So immediately reverse any damage.
For this operation to be successful, you must have carpenters in Madrid who are experts in this type of reform. But if you know something about cabinetmaking and you know how to walk on the tiles, remember to have the following materials at hand: brushes, thick bristle brushes, putty knife, sandpaper of different grains, special wood putty. And don’t forget to protect yourself with gloves, glasses and a mask.
For regular maintenance, follow these steps.
- Clean the ceiling with a brush to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated.
- Sand the shingles in the direction of the lines of the wood. First use a coarse sandpaper, then a fine one and once the surface is smooth remove the dust with a brush or brush.
- Check that there are no insects in each fold of shingle. In case you detect them, spray a pesticide or protective treatment against termites.
- If you notice any cracks, fill those gaps with putty. Let dry before continuing.
- Use a soft sandpaper to smooth out any bumps left by the putty.
- To finish cover with varnish, wood wax or paint.
What You Shouldn’t Forget About Roof Preservation
The correct maintenance of the ceilings involves being aware of different things in your house. Don’t forget these tips:
- If you have detected an upstairs or attic leak, immediately call a professional to properly repair the problem.
- Do not attempt to repair the roof yourself unless you know how to do it professionally.
- Avoid doing roof repair during the winter. Since you can risk the life of whoever is doing the work for you. And your house could suffer further damage.
- Keep gutters clear, so that when it rains the water flows and doesn’t stagnate on the roof.
- Keep an eye out for changes to the inner roof of your home. Since these can indicate the deterioration of the external roof.
Regular roof maintenance will save you headaches because any imperfections will be addressed promptly. Include this part of the house in your annual cleaning plan .